fonts are great and all buuut...
wouldn't you prefer to learn how to create a signature calligraphy style of your own?
have you ever admired brush calligraphy designs and wondered, "wait...how on earth was that done by hand?! no way i could do that!"
let me take a guess...are you currently:
- Thinking, “My handwriting is awful!!! There's literally NO way I could ever be good at brush calligraphy!” ?
- Mimicking Pinterest tutorials for faux-lligraphy with a Sharpie, just to realize they look kinda clunky and take for-ev-er?
- Or, maybe you've tried your hand at traditional pointed pen, but you just can't get a grasp on it and wish you could find something a bit more relaxing and forgiving? (I've SO been there!)
- Wishing you could supplement your current design work with your own calligraphy, rather than all the super popular fonts that everyone else is already using? You want to stand out!
- Oogling over in-person workshops, but feeling defeated because there aren't any near you and there's no way you can afford the travel plus the workshop costs?
- Feeling paralyzed when you walk into the art store from all the things? Standing in the watercolor section just staring at all the supplies, then leaving empty handed because it was WAY too overwhelming! So. Many. Brush. Options. Which one is best for brush calligraphy?!
let me share a little secret with ya:
brush calligraphy is an art form.
it has nothing to do with your handwriting...
which is fantastic because i'm the
product of two doctors = awful
but i love brush calligraphy!
imagine what it would be like...
to feel confident.
to calligraph in your own unique style.
to calligraph beautiful envelopes for friends & clients.
to have an online community of friendly artistic peers.
to learn calligraphy at home. with a glass of wine. on your own time.
don't think that's possible?
don't take it from me,
hear what SJM Art School students
have to say!
real student work...
you could calligraph like this, too!
whether this is your first time picking up a paintbrush, or you're wanting to (quite literally) brush up on your technique...
the intro to brush calligraphy course will provide you with a strong grasp on the basics of calligraphy, allow you to master the upper & lowercase alphabet, and confidently connect letters to make words & phrases!
first things first,
what's the sjm art school?
it's an online artistic classroom for budding artists to learn artistic fundamentals & advanced techniques in a fun, relaxed environment.
It's lifetime access to go-at-your-own-pace courses with an online community and step-by-step PDF worksheets and homework.
it's your next step toward becoming an artist. and a confident one at that!
here's a glimpse into what you'll learn to calligraph!
what will i learn in this course?
The Intro to Brush Calligraphy course includes 7 core lessons that guide you through how to use your new supplies, how to create basic brushstrokes & shapes, how to connect letters to make words, and how to arrange words to make aesthetically pleasing layouts - so you'll walk away with a gorg custom art print all of your own!
- I'll share my absolute fave art supplies & why I love using them.
- I'll of course also share where you can grab supplies of your own (both in-person or online) so you can confidently stroll through the art store like a pro!
how to use
your art supplies
- We'll learn how to orient your paper, and how to hold your brush.
- We'll learn how much paint & water to add to your palette, how to mix them together, and how to figure out how often to dip your brush in your paint so it doesn't dry out!
- We're going to start by learning basic upstrokes & downstrokes first (the foundation of calligraphy!)
- We'll then learn how to calligraph key shapes, including the U shape, the C shape, and the O shape - super important shapes to learn!
learning letters a-m
(uppercase & lowercase)
- Now that you feel confident using your supplies, it's time to begin calligraphing the alphabet!
- We'll cover A-M in this lesson. I'll be calligraphing two of each letter - so you can watch along the first time & practice the second time!
learning letters n-z
(uppercase & lowercase)
- Hooray - you're halfway through the alphabet!!
- Time to round it out with letters N-Z. This lesson will follow the same format as lesson 4, where I showcase how to calligraph each letter twice!
to make words
- Now that you're confident in the full alphabet, it's time to learn how to connect letters to make words!
- We're going to practice calligraphing our names - as they're what we've written most frequently throughout our lives!
combining words to make phrases & course project: a calligraphy art print!
- In this lesson, we're taking all the techniques we've learned and will be combining words to make an aesthetically pleasing art print layout!
- Our art print phrase will be "oh hello love" - my fave!
have i mentioned the fun bonuses?
oh yea, i'm pulling an oprah!
Did ya think you'd just get those fun 7 core video lessons? Oh no, friend - so much more!
Let's look at what fun extra goodies you'll get when you enroll in the Intro to Brush Calligraphy course:
your bonuses include:
- 15 Bonus Video Lessons: So you can build the habit of calligraphing for 3 months 'til it becomes a part of your routine.
- My Favorite Art Supplies Guide: So you can confidently stroll through the art store like a pro picking up your new fav goodies!
- Brush Calligraphy Alphabet Guide: So you can have a printable guide of my exact brushstrokes to reference as you're practicing!
- Techniques & Tips Guide: So you can easily remember things like, "oh yea - that's the angle I need to use to create that shape!"
- Calligraphy Terms Cheat Sheet: So you can stop scratching your head and remember what the heck a crossbar is!
- Connecting Letters to Make Words Guide: So you can have an easy reference for the various ways to connect letters!
- Art Print Layout Guide Template: So you can create gorgeous gift-worthy art prints for loved ones! (I know what your friends are getting for Christmas this year!!)
- Finding Your Signature Style + Tackling Artistic Perfectionism Guides: So you can confidently stand out in a sea of other artists!
- Online Community: So you can share your progress and get feedback from your friendly artistic peers! #newbesties!
although this is an online course...
you won't have to go through it alone
I know how scary it can feel to learn a new art form on your own. And I of course want to make your learning process as fun and comfortable as possible! That's why you'll be hearing from me personally through email check-ins so I can make sure you're keeping up with your lessons & homework!
Our Facebook community is also going to be SO much fun! We'll have weekly prompts, so you can share your progress and get feedback from your friendly artistic peers!
it's time to invest in your
intro to brush calligraphy course includes:
- 2.75 hours of video lessons (in perfect bite-sized lessons!)
- fun homework from each lesson to put your skills to use,
plus an art print course project so you can then show off your
new artistic talent to loved ones!
- 15 additional bonus video lessons with practice prompts
so you can confidently continue your brush calligraphy journey
- 8 ah-mazing bonus PDFs & guides so you can complement
your video lesson education with written content
(because i know each student learns differently!)
- a facebook group of likeminded artist friends so you can
have a supportive community & share your progress!
- surprise bonuses (i don't want to give everything away!)
yesss, i want to become an artist now!
enroll for $147
get the sjm art school semester bundle.
I know, I know - too good to be true? Can you really get this course for free? Yup. I know investing in your artistic education is a huge deal! So if you're ready to sign up for all four courses at once, I want to give you a fun treat.
Rather than paying the full price for the four courses
($117 + $147 + $147 + $397 = $808)
I'm offering the semester as a bundle for just $657!!!
that's $151 in savings. aka, this class = free!
enroll in the full semester for $657
NEED A PAYMENT PLAN? FRIEND, I'VE GOTCHA.
Investing in the entire SJM Art School Semester is a big exciting leap - even if you are getting this Intro to Brush Calligraphy course for free! If you need a little friendly help, I'm here for you.
Rather than paying $657 upfront, you can begin all four courses of the SJM Art School for just $157!
payment plan = 5 monthly payments of $157
yes, for all 4 courses!
begin the full semester for just $157
new extended payment plan option!!!
Today through September 5 at 11:59pm EST, I'm extending a new payment plan option for y'all to make enrolling in these four core courses even more accessible! Because I don't want money to be the thing that holds you back from your education, friend!!
Rather than paying $657 upfront, you can begin all four courses of the SJM Art School for just $67!
extended payment plan = 12 monthly payments of $67
yes, still for all 4 courses!
begin the full semester for just $67
An investment you can feel good about.
a portion of all courses will be donated to uga miracle! (click here to learn more)
my sister is a uga student, and is passionately involved in this organization, striving to help as many kids as possible.
it's her goal to raise $3,000 to donate, and i know we can help her reach it and bless the lives of so many children!
last year we raised: over $500
for uga miracle - for the kids!!
and $2,000 for hurricane harvey!
your enrollment makes a difference.
give the gift of art
Is there any gift better than the gift of education? I don't think so!
If you're still looking for the perfect holiday gift for your artistic friend, gifting them with a gift card to one the intro to brush calligraphy course will surely grant you the best-gift-of-the-year award!
Gift cards are available for all four courses individually, along with the full Semester Bundle!
I've got answers!
- When will I get access to the course content? All of the core lessons will be available as soon as you sign up! All 15 bonus videos are also already available for you to watch and practice, and I will send you a weekly email each Friday during our bonus series to walk alongside you during your continued education.
- Do I have lifetime access to the class? Yes, of course! You have lifetime access to this class (and any of the SJM Art School classes you enroll in) - plus you'll get lifetime updates to the classes if I change anything!
- What if I've LITERALLY never held a paintbrush?! Friend, this course will be PERFECT for you! It's a beginner level course, and while it's packed with awesome content - everything is broken down and simplified to ensure you understand all the concepts!
- Do I have to take the Intro to Watercolor course before taking this course? Nope! I love recommending the Intro to Watercolor course to give you a beautiful understanding of our artistic medium. However, if you're simply interested in brush calligraphy and don't think you'll create other types of paintings - feel free to just enroll in this course! I'll teach you the basics of how to use your supplies, so you're all set for everything you need to know to start calligraphing (no previous experience required!).
- Do I have to have a business to take this course? Gosh, no! This course is great for teaching you the foundations of brush calligraphy - whether you do want to build a calligraphy business, or you're just looking for a way to spruce up your holiday card envelopes this year!
- How long will it take me to complete the course? The course lessons in total are 163 minutes (about 2 and 3/4 hours!). However, I recommend watching each lesson as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable and confident in that new skill, before rushing onto the next lesson!
- Do I have to live in the USA to be a student? Nope! We have lots of amazing international students - from Australia, England, Canada, and more! That's the perk of online courses :)
- Do you offer any refunds? Yup! If you take the course within 30 days of enrolling, practice each lesson and show me your homework - and I don't see any improvement in your brush calligraphy skills, I'll give you a full refund! Risk-free choice, my friend!
oh gosh, i forgot my manners!!
hey y'all, i'm jessica!
and i'll be your teacher!
I'm an artist for couples, and an educator for artists. And the best news? I'm a self-taught artist, so I know exactly what you're going through! I help budding artists like you build their creative confidence through comprehensive yet simple step-by-step classes. And I'm all about learning with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night!
Over the past 4 years, I've taught over 500 students through in-person watercolor workshops. I LOVE teaching in-person, but know that not everyone can travel to be in the cities where I host my workshops! Which is why I'm SO excited to bring the SJM Art School online, so you can take the classes from the comfort of your home - whether that's a hop skip and a jump away in another Texas city, or all the way in Australia!
I've built my business on watercolor & brush calligraphy. But it wasn't always that way. I started my career as an assistant to a (super super sweet!) wedding planner. While my job was visually creative, I craved the opportunity to make more with my hands. With paint. So when my (now hubby, Zack!) popped the question and asked me to move from Nashville to Knoxville, I took the leap to create a full-time business and a life I adore that's fueled by art and love. And I haven't looked back since.
So whether you're craving a job change to something more creative and hands-on, want to enhance your current creative business by adding brush calligraphy to your products or services, or simply need guidance getting started, the SJM Art School will provide you with the education, confidence, and community you deserve!
will i see you in class this semester?
want to read more about
the other 3 classes in the art school?