Happy Cinco de Mayo!! While I wanted to share this recipe on Thursday per usual, I thought it would be fun to wait to share it on Cinco de Mayo since it's such a fitting recipe for this cocktail.
If you're planning brunch this weekend (maybe a continued celebration tomorrow on Sunday?), consider this Maple Margarita your go-to festive drink!
PS - who else flipped the page of their 2018 Cocktail Calendar this week? If so, let's toast each other with a virtual cocktail hour today to celebrate!
for the margaritas:
- 1 1/2 ounces of your tequila of choice
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (freshly squeezed, if possible!) note: you can use Cointreau instead of orange juice, but one of our favorite Mexican restaurants from Knoxville uses OJ, and it's delicious!
- 1-2 ounces of maple simple syrup, to taste (see below)
- the juice of almost one full lime (about 3/4 of a lime's juice should be perfect)
- lime wedges or orange slices for garnish
for the maple simple syrup
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup water
cinnamon sugar rim
- a little maple syrup (for coating)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of raw sugar
for the maple simple syrup
- Add the maple syrup and water to a saucepan (over medium-low heat).
- Bring to a simmer, whisking the syrup as it heats
- Turn off the heat and let the simple syrup cool to room temperature. (It can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to one week.)
for the cinnamon sugar rim
- Using a spoon (a pastry brush would work nicely as well!), coat the rim of your glass with maple syrup.
- Stir the cinnamon and sugar together on a flat plate.
- Dip your glass in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
for the margaritas
- Fill your cocktail shaker with the tequila, orange juice, maple simple syrup, lime juice, and ice.
- Shake for about 30-60 seconds, until combined.
- Fill your glass with crushed ice, and pour your margarita on top.
- Garnish with your choice of lime or orange, and enjoy!
BRUNCH PAIRING SUGGESTION
The obvious choice for brunch food to pair with your maple margarita is waffles! If you're feeling extra fancy, try your hand at maple bacon waffles for a savory addition to your sweet brunch.
photo by sc stockshop
2018 cocktail calendar
If you love brunch cocktails as much as I do, you are going to LOVE the 2018 Cocktail Calendar!! (PS - there's only a few left in stock!)
Each month of this brunch inspired 2018 Cocktail Calendar features a different illustrated cocktail that is perfectly fitting for that month and season.
I will post the recipe for each month's cocktail here on my blog the first Thursday of every month, giving you plenty of time to incorporate the drink into any brunches you are hostessing or attending!
If you try this recipe or display your May calendar design in your home, I'd love to see! Share on Instagram with the hashtag #sjmcocktails and tag me @simplyjessicamarie so I can follow along and share your photo on my page/stories, too!