Charleston Vacation, Day Three


Today was our last day in Charleston. It went by so quickly! We woke up a little bit later this morning, around 9am, and leisurely made our way downstairs to enjoy another great breakfast at the b&b. I snagged one of the last two remaining biscuits and had some scrambled eggs and fruit on the side. Checkout was at 11am, so we packed up our room and wandered through the historic part of the city for one last time. We saw that there was a vacancy in one of the nicest houses in the area, 2 Meeting Street, so we decided to take a look inside. The house is gorgeous and has such an interesting history.

It was given to a girl by her father as a wedding gift. He gave her $75,000 (which is now worth about $3 million) and told her to design the house of her dreams. However, the groom’s family did not want to be outshined by the girl’s father, so they sent the newlyweds to Europe to pick out the furnishings for the house’s interior. Jealous much? And to top it all off, some of the windows downstairs are made of Tiffany glass. I was just about dying walking through all of the rooms.

The next house we visited was the Nathaniel Russell house, which has been turned into a museum. Unfortunately, I wasn’t allowed to take any pictures of the inside of the house, but the details were exquisite! If you’d like to see what I got to experience, visit this website. The coolest part of the museum is a floating spiral staircase that goes through the middle of the house. The staircase isn’t attached to anything except for the first floor and the two floors above, essentially making it 'free floating'. And they built it in the beginning of the 1800’s, which in my opinion makes it all the more impressive.

Once we were done touring the two houses, it was lunch time so we headed over to Poogan's Porch upon the museum tour guide's suggestion. The restaurant is so cute!

This was the view from our table:

Our tour guide also recommended that we try the mac n' cheese as an appetizer, and once again I'm so glad we listened to him. It was one of the best versions of mac n' cheese I've ever tried. It was made with gouda and there were bits of ham, bacon, and scallions in it.

After devouring this appetizer, it was time for our main courses. My mom ordered the BBQ Salmon with cheddar grits-

And I ordered the buttermilk fried chicken with sweet potato fries-

I knew I wanted to try South Carolina fried chicken before I left, so this was the last opportunity I had. As far as fried chicken goes, this was pretty good. Not too greasy and juicy on the inside. And I always love sweet potato fries!

Once we were done with lunch, we went back to the market so I could get a hat I had my eye on yesterday (don't worry, not the pink one). And my sister wanted a caramel apple so we stopped by the candy shop near the market. At this point in time it was pouring outside so we were making a mad dash all across the city trying to avoid the puddles between the market, the candy shop, and King Street. Don't get me wrong I like running through the rain every now and again, but not when I have a four and a half hour drive ahead of me!

We found some shelter in the J. Crew store that just re-opened this morning (how convenient, right?). Unfortunately, I'm used to the outlet store prices at the Tanger Outlets near Elon, so the Jackie cardigans and other items weren't quite as tempting at their full prices. But, luckily there was an adorable white seersucker dress on sale, and that is essentially exactly what I wanted to find today. After the sale price and my student discount was added, I was able to purchase the dress for $100 cheaper than its original price. Now that's a steal!

Mom and I quickly left the store before I could convince her to let me buy anything else, and headed back to get our car from the b&b. Then, before finally saying goodbye to this charming city, we made one final stop to purchase food. We had heard about this place called Cupcake, which is sort of like the local version of Georgetown Cupcakes, so we went in to get a half dozen to bring home for everyone.

I went with the classic red velvet cake, and we also got cookies n' cream for my mom, another red velvet for my sister, vanilla with chocolate icing for my brother, mint chocolate for my dad, and double chocolate for anyone who wanted to try it. The red velvet was okay (I'm kind of jaded with all things red velvet by The Cheesecake Factory's red velvet cheesecake, but for some reason I keep trying things in that flavor) but my mom said the cookies n' cream was delicious. We ran back to the car in the pouring rain with our nicely boxed cupcakes and started our semi-short, semi-long trip back home.

I had such a fantastic time in Charleston and wish I could have stayed just a tad bit longer. There is just so much to see in that city! I'm sure I'll be visiting again in the future though. And now, I'm back at home on my couch, finishing my financial accounting homework (why on earth did I sign up for an online summer course?) and preparing to watch the first part of last nights Bachelorette with mom before passing out. Night all!