it’s time to stop feeling like you’re not an artist...
and learn the foundational tips and tricks so you can proudly hang your artwork in your home
have you ever seen other watercolor artists and wondered, "why can't i paint freely & beautifully like them?!"
let me take a guess...are you currently:
- Thinking, “I’m not creative! I don’t have the time to try to being creative! You’re going to laugh at me — I shouldn’t try because it’s not worth it.”?
- Feeling paralyzed when you walk into the art store from all the thing?. Standing in the watercolor section just staring at all the supplies, then leaving empty handed because it was WAY too overwhelming!
- Spending hours scrolling through Pinterest tutorials & Insta videos attempting to piece together lessons for yourself, only to come up short from what you need to learn?
- Staring at a blank piece of paper trying with all your might to decide what to paint (come ooooon brilliant ideas, pop into my head already!), letting that lack of inspiration block you from ever beginning?
- Wishing someone would just give you the permission to start?
imagine what it would be like...
to feel confident.
to finally find your artistic style & voice.
to feel like you're recognizable in your own right.
to have an online community of friendly artistic peers.
to learn watercolor at home. with a glass of wine. on your own time.
don't think that's possible?
don't take it from me,
hear what kat had to say!
whether this is your first time picking up a paintbrush, or you're wanting to (quite literally) brush up on your technique before diving into more advanced courses...
the intro to watercolor course will provide you with a strong watercolor foundation so you can feel confident mastering the basics of this beautiful & relaxing art form!
first things first,
what's the sjm art school?
it's an online artistic classroom for budding artists to learn artistic fundamentals & advanced techniques in a fun, yet-relaxed environment.
It's lifetime access to go-at-your-own-pace courses with an online community and step-by-step PDF worksheets and homework.
it's your next step toward becoming an artist. and a confident one at that!
what will i learn in this course?
The Intro to Watercolor course includes 7 core lessons that guide you through how to use your new supplies, how to create basic brushstrokes & shapes, and a few fun painting & pattern techniques so you can walk away with gorgeous custom paintings + gift tags to share your art with loved ones!
my favorite supplies &
how to use them!
- I'll share my absolute fav art supplies & where you can grab some for yourself!
- We'll then talk about how to set yourself up for using them - especially if this is your first time picking up a paintbrush!
creating thick &
- We'll learn how variations in pressure and angles make a huge difference when painting.
- We'll then apply that info & practice painting thick lines and thin lines - so you can feel comfortable with your brush!
making basic shapes
- Now that you feel comfortable making basic brushstrokes - it's time to learn basic shapes!
- We'll learn to paint circles, triangles, rectangles & even some basic leaf shapes!
color theory &
the color wheel
- You're a gem at brushstrokes, so it's time to chat about color theory!
- We'll create a color wheel - learning to mix secondary and tertiary colors.
- I'll also share how to best use colors from the color wheel in paintings.
- We'll learn a couple ways to blend and mix two colors together!
- I'll also teach you my SUPER handy trick for "erasing" your mistakes!
- We'll learn how to transition from deep to light shades within a color, and how to mix cool & warm grey.
(wet on wet, wet on dry,
& dry brush)
- You'll get to really watch the natural effects of watercolor - learning what happens when you use wet on wet, wet on dry & dry brush techniques!
- Plus - a super fun sea salt bonus!
creating patterns & course project: custom gift tags!
- We'll create a gingham pattern, an overlapping circle pattern, a herringbone pattern, and a striped pattern!
- We'll then take our fav pattern and make custom gift tags - so you can share your new art with loved ones!
have i mentioned the fun bonuses?
oh yea, i'm pulling an oprah!
Did ya think you'd just get those fun 7 core video lessons? Oh no, friend - so much more!
Let's look at what fun extra goodies you'll get when you enroll in the Intro to Watercolors course:
your bonuses include:
- 15 Bonus Video Lessons: So you can build the habit of painting for 3 months until it becomes a part of your regular routine.
- My Favorite Art Supplies Guide: So you can confidently stroll through the art store like a pro picking up your new fav goodies!
- Painting Techniques Guide: So you can easily remember things like, "oh yea - that's the angle I need to use to create that shape!"
- Color Wheel Chart: So you can understand how to use various colors while creating patterns and paintings.
- Blending and Mixing Guide: So you can look back and see how to mix your colors evenly - and make really fun artistic effects!
- Gift Tag and Stationery Template: So you can turn your paintings into stationery sets for loved ones - tied up in a bow with a handmade gift tag! (Christmas gifting made easy!!)
- Tackling Artistic Perfectionism Guide: So you can learn to build creative confidence & hush that perfectionist voice in your head!
- Finding Your Signature Style Guide: So you can stand out in a sea of other artists!
- Online Community: So you can share your progress and get feedback from your friendly artistic peers! #newbesties!
- Digital Gift Bag: Super secret surprises from my fav brands!
although this is an online course...
you won't have to go through it alone
I know how scary it can feel to learn a new art form on your own. And I of course want to make your learning process as fun and comfortable as possible! That's why you'll be hearing from me personally through email check-ins so I can make sure you're keeping up with your lessons & homework!
Our Facebook community is also going to be SO much fun! We'll have weekly prompts, so you can share your progress and get feedback from your friendly artistic peers!
it's time to invest in your
intro to watercolors course includes:
- 1.5 hours of video lessons (in perfect bite-sized lessons!)
- fun homework from each lesson to put your skills to use,
plus a gift tag course project so you can then show off your
new artistic talent to loved ones!
- 15 additional bonus video lessons with practice prompts
so you can confidently continue your watercolor journey
- 7 ah-mazing bonus PDFs & guides so you can complement
your video lesson education with written content
(because i know each student learns differently!)
- a facebook group of likeminded artist friends so you can
have a supportive community & share your progress!
- surprise bonuses (i don't want to give everything away!)
yesss, i want to become an artist now!
enroll for $117
hold on a sec...
want to get this class for free?
get the sjm art school semester bundle.
I know, I know - too good to be true? Can you really get this course for free? Yup. I know investing in your artistic education is a huge deal! So if you're ready to sign up for all four courses at once, I want to give you a fun treat.
Rather than paying the full price for the four courses
($117 + $147 + $147 + $397 = $808)
I'm offering the semester as a bundle for just $657!!!
that's $151 in savings. aka, this class = free!
enroll in the full semester for $657
NEED A PAYMENT PLAN? FRIEND, I'VE GOTCHA.
Investing in the entire SJM Art School Semester is a big exciting leap - even if you are getting this Intro to Watercolor course for free! If you need a little friendly help, I'm here for you.
Rather than paying $657 upfront, you can begin all four courses of the SJM Art School for just $157!
payment plan = 5 monthly payments of $157
yes, for all 4 courses!
begin the full semester for just $157
new extended payment plan option!!!
This weekend only, I'm extending a new payment plan option for y'all to make enrolling in these four core courses even more accessible! Because I don't want money to be the thing that holds you back from your education, friend!!
Rather than paying $657 upfront, you can begin all four courses of the SJM Art School for just $67!
extended payment plan = 12 monthly payments of $67
yes, still for all 4 courses!
begin the full semester for just $67
art school enrollment ends
on september 10 at midnight est
An investment you can feel good about.
10% of all full-priced courses will be donated to Hurricane harvey disaster relief efforts!
texas is my new home, and thousands in southeast texas have lost their home to this devastating hurricane.
it's my goal to raise $5,000 to donate, and i am so thankful for your help with that!
so far we've raised: over $1,275
for hurricane harvey disaster relief!!
I've got answers!
- When will I get access to the course content? All of the core lessons will be available as soon as you sign up! I want you to focus on learning the core lessons first, so your bonuses will be sent to you throughout the month of September, to give you 2-3 weeks to really master these basics first! PDF bonuses will be sent 1-2 weeks after enrollment closes, and extra fun bonus videos will be sent 2-3 weeks after course enrollment closes! That way, you constantly have something fun to look forward to learning :)
- Do I have lifetime access to the class? Yes, of course! You have lifetime access to this class (and any of the SJM Art School classes you enroll in) - plus you'll get lifetime updates to the classes if I change anything!
- What if I've LITERALLY never held a paintbrush?! Friend, this course will be PERFECT for you! It's a beginner level course, and while it's packed with awesome content - everything is broken down and simplified to ensure you understand all the concepts!
- What about my kids - would they like this course? Yes, yes, yes! Kiddo artists are my absolute favorites!! I love it when mamas send me photos and videos of their kids painting - and this class would make the perfect after-school activity for y'all to go through together!
- Do I have to have a business to take this course? Gosh, no! This course is great for teaching you the foundations of watercolor - whether you do want to build a watercolor business, or you're just looking for your favorite new Sunday afternoon activity!
- How long will it take me to complete the course? The course lessons in total are 108 minutes (a little under an hour and a half!). However, I recommend watching each lesson as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable and confident in that new skill, before rushing onto the next lesson!
- Do you offer any refunds? Yup! If you take the course within 30 days of enrolling, practice each lesson and show me your homework - and I don't see any improvement in your watercolor skills, I'll give you a full refund! Risk-free choice, my friend!
oh gosh, i forgot my manners!!
hey y'all, i'm jessica!
and i'll be your teacher!
I'm an artist for couples, and an educator for artists. And the best news? I'm a self-taught artist, so I know exactly what you're going through! I help budding artists like you build their creative confidence through comprehensive yet simple step-by-step classes. And I'm all about learning with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night!
Over the past 4 years, I've taught over 500 students through in-person watercolor workshops. I LOVE teaching in-person, but know that not everyone can travel to be in the cities where I host my workshops! Which is why I'm SO excited to bring the SJM Art School online, so you can take the classes from the comfort of your home - whether that's a hop skip and a jump away in another Texas city, or all the way in Australia!
I've built my business on watercolor. But it wasn't always that way. I started my career as an assistant to a (super super sweet!) wedding planner. While my job was visually creative, I craved the opportunity to make more with my hands. With paint. So when my (now hubby, Zack!) popped the question and asked me to move from Nashville to Knoxville, I took the leap to create a full-time business and a life I adore that's fueled by art and love. And I haven't looked back since.
So whether you're craving a job change to something more creative and hands-on, want to enhance your current creative business by adding watercolor to your products or services, or simply need guidance getting started with watercolor, the SJM Art School will provide you with the education, confidence, and community you deserve!
will i see you in class this semester?
want to read more about
the other 3 classes in the art school?